This rich and creamy peppermint hot chocolate is a definite mood booster!
The Feel good Peppermint Hot Chocolate! It’s a comfort food to pick you up when you are feeling down. It’s a sweet treat when you want to feel warm again. It’s luxurious, rich and creamy, and it makes you feel like everything is right in the world again. Well, almost.
Baby, it’s cold outside and my sweetie has left me once again to go back to Vancouver. So what do I do to feel good again? Yep, you guessed it, I have my own little feel-good hot chocolate party. But this isn’t just any hot chocolate. It’s an all natural triple effect formula to help combat stress, calm the nerves, and boost your mood.
There are so many ways to make hot chocolate but my way is natural and delicious – containing peppermint tea, coconut milk, raw cacao powder, dark chocolate, coconut sugar and, peppermint whipped cream. It’s relaxing, soothing, warming, and comforting. Just like a man should be. But if your man leaves for work, or lives in a different country, then join me for a chocolate party! 😉
Health Warning! This Peppermint Hot Chocolate helps…
Improve appetite and good digestion (peppermint)
Boost your mood for a feel good pick me up (serotonin)
Mental clarity (phenylethlamine)
Calm nerves (magnesium)
Peppermint: when it comes to stress and anxiety, peppermint is one of your best allies. The menthol that is naturally present in this herb is a known muscle relaxant and helps calm the nerves when you feel stressed, anxious, tense, or irritable.
- Serotonin: cacao not only supplies the body with the “feel good chemical” serotonin but it also aids the body in producing its own serotonin. Serotonin helps to combat stress and improve mood by promoting feelings of comfort.
- Phenylethylamine (PEA): known as the “love chemical” associated with stomach knots, sweaty palms and a thumping heart one feels when falling in love. When we are excited or when ingested, PEA stimulates the central nervous system to release endorphins that make people feel happy.
- Anandamide: the “bliss chemical” is a neurotransmitter found naturally in cacao and also in the human brain to help produce a state of heightened happiness. By increasing neurogenesis (the formation of new nerve cells) anandamide exhibits both anti-anxiety and antidepressant properties. Also helps with memory, motivation, pain, appetite and, fertility.
- Magnesium: one of the most deficient minerals in the Western world, this mineral is responsible for over 300 biochemical processes in the body. It plays an important role in calming the brain and promoting relaxation.
Raw cacao: a fantastic source of “mysterious bliss chemicals” known to influence the brain in many beneficial ways.
- 1 cup filtered water
- 2 peppermint tea bags
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar, honey or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons 72% dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup organic whipping cream, (or coconut cream)
- 6 drops peppermint extract
- 1/8 teaspoon honey (optional)
Steep 2 peppermint tea bags in a cup of water for 5 to 10 minutes.
Combine peppermint tea, coconut milk, coconut sugar, and cacao powder in a saucepan.
Cook over medium heat, whisking occasionally, until the sugar and cacao powder dissolve and the milk is hot. Do not boil.
Whisk in chocolate pieces until melted
Pour into mugs and top with whipped cream.
Pour ½ cup organic whipping cream in a glass container.
With a hand blender, start blending the cream, when it starts to thicken add 6 drops peppermint extract and honey.
*Sensitive to caffeine? Then stick with peppermint tea.
*Pregnant women should stay away from peppermint tea because it may increase the risk of miscarriage.
Nutrition Facts Serving size: 1
Calories 175 / Fat 15g / Carbs 8.6g / Protein 2g / Fiber 1.5g / Sodium 13.9mg / Sugars 5g